We are thrilled to be able to support you and your family while you are in Japan. Please review this important information to understand how the breast milk shipping process will work:
THE INTERNATIONAL (AND DOMESTIC) STASH SHIPPER
For the Games, we are offering moms the Stash Shipper service. The Stash Shipper keeps 180 oz of breast milk (5-6 days’ supply) frozen for 96 hours. If using Willow or Kiinde bags, the capacity will be less than 180 oz. Here’s what you need to know about the Stash Shipper:
- The coolers super-power is their high-performance vacuum insulated panels that maintain frozen temperatures once the milk is packed into the cooler. They do not arrive cold nor do they an activation button. To maintain frozen temperatures the coolers must be packed to full capacity.
- Your Stash coolers will come pre-labeled with a FedEx International Priority label. These labels will be marked "ETD" - which means your commercial invoice is electronically uploaded within the label. No other documents are required. Once a FedEx employee scans this label, they will see all necessary documentation.
- The shipping transit time for FedEx International Priority from Japan to the States can take up to 3 business days.
- Even with proper documentation, the international shipping of breast milk comes with inherent risks. Service disruptions, weather, and customs inspections may lead to increased transit times.
- A signature will be required for the shipment of milk back home upon delivery. By signing up for FedEx Delivery Manager you can customize your delivery, manage delivery times and add a signature to your account.
FEDEX IN THE VILLAGE AND AT THE GAMES
We are working with USOPC to coordinate onsite FedEx logistics in the Village during the Games with consideration of COVID restrictions and protocols. Our goal is to have FedEx pickups for milk available sometime during Monday - Wednesday windows during the games:
- Monday, July 26, 2021 - Wednesday, July 28, 2021
- Tuesday, August 24, 2021 and Wednesday, August 25, 2021
- Monday, August 2, 2021 - Wednesday, August 4, 2021
- Monday, August 30, 2021 - Wednesday, Sept 1, 2021
Stash Shippers can also be checked as luggage during the journey home.
- Milk should be packed immediately prior to being tendered to FedEx.
- Milk must be completely frozen before being packed into the cooler. We recommend freezing flat for the maximum capacity.
- Place fully frozen milk into the cooler, arranging bags as close together as possible.
- Do not add any extra packing materials to the box
- Fill cooler, making sure lid can close completely and is flush with cooler (if the lid is not closed completely, remove bags of milk until a complete seal is achieved)
- Please note, Stash coolers do not have an activation button.
- Place lid over milk and tape box closed. Do not reopen the box.
- Tender to FedEx as soon as possible and prior to FedEx’s location cut-off time.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR UNPACKING THE MILK (STATE-SIDE)
- Place all milk from the cooler directly into the freezer at the same time the cooler lid has been opened
- The interior cooler temperature will warm once the lid has been opened
- Milk may arrive in various forms of frozen:
- Every person has different fat content in their milk, which itself ranges every hour, every day, so every bag has a different freeze point.
- You may notice milk arrives in various forms of frozen. If any bags are almost liquid, they can safely be returned to a freezer if ice crystals are present - regardless of size or amount of crystals.
- If any bags are fully liquid, it is recommended to use them within 24 hours of cooler arrival at destination. You may taste and/or smell the milk for freshness. Breastmilk that has spoiled will smell distinctly sour and/or unpleasant, similar to spoiled cow’s milk.
- Some breast milk may have a grassy, or soapy, smell or look to it. This does not mean milk is spoiled, rather it indicates the presence of lipase which is a natural byproduct of breast milk composition.
MILK STORK WILL BE RECYCLING YOUR COOLERS AFTER THE GAMES
Milk Stork will be collecting your Stash Coolers back after the Games so that we can recycle them and keep them out of landfill.
Please hold on to your Stash cooler and do not discard them. Following the games, we will send shipping labels to collect the coolers. Stay tuned!
Milk Stork customer service is available Monday - Friday 8am - 5pm Pacific Time. Recognizing the significant time change between the US and Japan, please feel free to contact us (phone: 510-356-0221 or via our webform). Though the correspondence may be asynchronous, we will follow up with you as promptly as possible.